Amanda Lenhart, of the Pew Internet & American Life Project, presented "A Timeline of Teens and Technology " to the Policy & Advocacy in the Schools meeting of a group of school psychologists in August 2007. According to the presentation, the impact and implications are as follows:
- Those who have grown up with interactive media want to manipulate, remix, and share content.
- They expect to be in conversation with others about content- access to an audience
- Increasingly savvy about what they share, particularly on SNS-protecting privacy
- Social media is always on, and persistent
- But teens are still teens-the fundamentals of that time of life are still there.
Link to PowerPoint Presentation
Food for Thought: This video about provides a good overview of computer and on-line privacy and security- if you work with students or if you are a parent, you'll find it useful:
"When I go to U. VA". is from UVA's Responsible Computing effort:
Family, Friends & Community Resources (from the Pew Website)