Monday, July 06, 2009

Wolfe awarded LEED® Green Building Certification (slightly off-topic)

Wolfe School awarded LEED® Green Building Certification

Only five new schools in North Carolina have been awarded LEED® certification, and Wolfe School (a program for students who have severe/multiple disabilities), in the Union County Public Schools district, is one of them. According to information from the UCPS website, "LEED® is a registered trademark of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). It stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design and is a nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings."

LEED
®-certified schools minimize student exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOC's) and artificial lighting. Both are thought to trigger sensitivities in people who are medically fragile or have more complex disabilities, such as severe autism.

I spend half of my working hours at Wolfe, and I'm impressed by the the positive outcome on the school's environment. The air is fresh and clean, and I've noticed that I have no allergy symptoms when I'm there.

No comments: