Saturday, May 14, 2011

Gregory Abowd (Georgia Tech) discusses autism and how technology help

Gregory Abowd is a professor at Georgia Tech. He is known for his work in the areas of ubiquitous computing and autism research.  I came across a video of his recent TEDxGeogia talk about autism and technology that I found interesting.  The video is just over 20 minutes long, but is worth watching. 




RELATED 
Autism and Computing
ShareTable Project, Georgia Tech (Includes links to articles)
Yarosh, S. and Abowd, G. Mediated Parent-Child Contact in Work-Separated Families. Proc. of CHI, ACM (2011) 
3D Eye Gaze Tracking to Estimate Joint Attention

Note:  I was hoping to interview Dr. Abowd during a conference I recently attended (CHI 2011), but was unable to do so.  Hopefully I can arrange a phone interview with him soon.   As a school psychologist, I often use digital technology in my work with students who have autism spectrum disorders.  Most of the students I work are teens or young adults.  I'd like to know more about research related to autism and technology that pertains to this age group.

No comments: